Saturday, August 7, 2010

Another Lesson

Sorry, Mother, but I had to tell the truth,
Though it was bitter at times and
The words catapulted like they were escaping
A too bright light.  You left and my
Child’s heart had no way to cry;
Father announced that it was time already
To get on with the new life and
After all what would people say when
They discovered that the marriage ended.
Weren’t children of divorce a problem
Waiting to trouble the neighbors?
Sorry, Father, but I had to keep it all in
And hide my broken pieces lest
Someone sweep them into the garbage.
I know I went off and picked them up,
Putting them back together like a
Jackson Pollack painting, one piece out of
Alignment with the other and, while
Well drawn in any small part,
Looked awkward and disjointed when
Viewed from afar.  Just so.
Sorry Sterling that I used you to
Hide my nakedness behind your
Idealism and peeked out every so often
Like a performer gauging the audience
Before the play begins, and there
You were trying so hard just to be
On stage and saying your lines like
You meant every word.  And you did.
But my wanting to be out got in the way.
Sorry my dear Soul, for taking so long
To know that all my fears would
Get me was loneliness and a
Canyon wide gulf between my
Dream of love and the world of
Dreams I was living.  
Thank you, God for this time of
Learning about myself and for
Keeping in touch all the while I
Had my phone on automatic
Forwarding to the “out” file.  
I sure left a lot to do, and not do.

No comments:

Post a Comment