Friday, August 27, 2010

Taking Care of Music

I didn’t care enough for you, my music,
it’s true.
I tried the intimacy dodge
of saying “I love you” reflexively 
as though that would hold off the
accusing eye or stop the 
embarrassing questions 
from being asked.
Of what do you accuse me?
I was hungry for relief
and my soul only wanted
a blanket of sound
over my trembling heart.
And you gave me relief.
I wanted relief from sad thoughts,
So my fingers hurried across waiting keys
filling pages with strong letters
empty of heart and soul.
And you kept me swimming
on the surface of stormy seas
as if floating in a calm.
I wanted shelter from
a grasping world taking
pieces of me 
in every spare moment.
You gave me pleasant
excuses to ignore
the voices giving marching orders
and kept me off the field of battle
one more moment.
I can’t help it if you fill
these emptinesses so willingly.
I didn’t care enough for you, my music,
but I still held you close.

No comments:

Post a Comment